Please give a warm welcome to Jody Gehrman, who is guest posting today on BLH. Thank you Jody for stopping by today!
The Top Ten Reasons I Heart October
October has its own brand of magic: the crisp chill in the air, the quality of light, pumpkins smiling toothy grins from porches. Though I live in Northern California, where the shift from summer to fall doesn't manifest quite so dramatically as it does in many places, the change is still palpable. October is the master engineer behind the exciting and also slightly frightening transition into winter. It's the first month when those sundrenched days of summer are well and truly gone; it's time to turn inward, get creative, bake cookies, write stories, get lost in a spooky tale.
Here are the top ten reasons October is my favorite time of the year:
1) Rain: Okay, I realize this may not be a huge selling point for most people, but for me a good rainstorm is the coziest time to write and read—my favorite activities!
2) Pumpkins: The pagan act of carving a spooky face into an enormous vegetable is just so grounding, whimsical and decorative.
3) Halloween Costumes: Getting to channel your secret self for a night, putting a face on that isn't yours, rolling yourself in glitter or blood, whichever you fancy—LOVE it!
4) Baking: Along with cozy weather, the urge to bake, to fill the house with delicious smells, becomes overpowering.
5) Fall Colors: From crimson leaves to burnt orange fashions, the rich hues of autumn make me smile.
6) Boots: I admit, I'm a boot-addict. My collection sits untouched and unloved all summer, so the first crisp day I can't wait to pull my old beloved friends from the depths of my closet.
7) Coats: My wardrobe strategy works best in layers—all the better to hide a few extra pounds (see baking, #4). I suspect boots were the gateway drug to my coat addiction, since nothing sets off a great pair of boots like an amazing coat!
8) No Bikini Waxing: I believe this one speaks for itself.
9) Great Time for Spooky Stories: Whether they're shared around a bonfire or devoured on your Kindle, there's no better time than October for stories about things that go bump in the night.
10) The Season of Witches: The reason I wrote Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft is because witches have always fascinated me, both in their real life and their fictional forms. October is their time to shine!
About the Author:
Jody Gehrman is a pagan at heart. She is a native of Northern California, where real witches thrive, and she has had the pleasure of knowing a few. She is also the author of seven novels and numerous award-winning plays. Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft is her most recent Young Adult novel. Her other Young Adult novels include Babe in Boyland, Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty, and Triple Shot Bettys in Love, (Penguin's Dial Books). Babe in Boyland has recently been optioned by the Disney Channel and won the International Reading Association's Teen Choice Award. Her adult novels are Notes from the Backseat, Tart, and Summer in the Land of Skin (Red Dress Ink). Her plays have been produced in Ashland, New York, San Francisco, Chicago and L.A. She and her partner David Wolf won the New Generation Playwrights Award for their one-act, Jake Savage, Jungle P.I. She is a professor of English at Mendocino College, where she can be found grading papers when she's not experimenting with spells.
Links to purchase:
Amazon e-book: http://www.amazon.com/Audreys-Guide-Witchcraft-Guides-ebook/dp/B008G7L6TS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341249491&sr=8-1&keywords=Audrey%27s+Guide+to+Witchcraft
Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft is only available at Amazon.
And the ebook will be FREE from October 14th-16th and Oct. 31st and November 1st
File Size: 545 KB
Print Length: 295 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 061565844X
Simultaneous Device Usage:
Unlimited Publisher: Magic Genie Books; 1 edition (June 29, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
X-Ray: Not Enabled
From the award-winning author of Babe in Boyland comes a Young Adult paranormal romance about witchcraft, black magic, and the pleasures of paranormal chocolate...
Falling in love, baking a magical cake, fighting an evil necromancer—it’s all in a day’s work for Audrey Oliver, seventeen-year-old witch-in-training. When her mother goes missing and her mysterious "cousin" shows up out of the blue, Audrey knows something’s gone horribly, dangerously wrong. Now it’s up to her to get her own magical powers up to speed before everyone she loves is destroyed by the sorcerer intricately connected to her mother’s secret past.
Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft is more than just a novel; it's a book of spells, a collection of easy recipes, a charming coming-of-age tale, an enchanting romance, and an action-packed adventure. As Audrey overcomes her insecurities and learns to protect herself against the wicked black magic of her nemesis, she grows into a heroine we can root for—a witch who knows that true power comes from deep within.
a Rafflecopter giveaway a Rafflecopter giveaway