Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kelly's Review Born of Fire by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Photobucket

BORN OF FIRE
By Sherrilyn Kenyon
Book 2 in The League Series

Published by: St. Martin’s Press / 175 Fifth Avenue / New York, NY 10010

First Printing: 2009

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Goodreads

Concept: “In a universe where assassins make the law, everyone lives in fear – except for Syn. Born of an illicit scandal that once rocked a dynasty, he always knew how to survive on the bloodthirsty streets. But that was then, and the future is now…

He takes no prisoners.

Syn was raised as tech-thief until his livelihood uncovered a truth that could end his life. He tried to destroy the evidence and has been on the run ever since. Now trained as an assassin, he allows no one to threaten him. Ever. He is the darkness that swallows his enemies whole.

She offers no escape.

Shahara Dagan is the best bounty hunter in the universe. When Syn comes back on the radar, she’s the only one who can bring him to justice. There’s only one problem. Syn is a close family friend who’s helped out the Dagans countless times. But if she saves him, both of their lives will be on the line. Is Syn’s protection worth the risk? The only hope Sharhara has to find the evidence he buried long ago. Now its kill or be killed and they, the predators, have just becomes the hunted.

Review: We firsr met Syn in rhe wonderful first book in The League Series, Born of Night. As I read about him in that book, I was hoping that a future book would include him because I found his character so interesting. Not only is this book all about Syn, it’s probably one of the best books I’ve ever read of any genre. I know right???
We meet Shahara Dagan, one bad ass bounty hunter who is down on her economic luck. One of the problems facing her is that her sister is in the hospital and she is faced with her medical bills. If she can’t pay, the sister not only doesn’t get any more medical care, but she gets booted from the hospital. To stop this from happening, Shahara takes accepts a contract to hunt down and bring Syn in for some trumped up charges against him (that were all part of the first book).

So they meet, and fireworks ensue and Syn is richer than anything you can imagine so what does he do? He pays the sisters hospital bills and throws in some expenditures to boot. No for me personally having been through some pretty ugly hospital stuff recently, and constantly having to foot a medical insurance bill that keeps going up, up, up, this makes Syn my absolute freaken Super Hero.

There’s more to the story than this though, and Syn and Shahara are forced into each other’s company and forced to work together to find a chip that Syn hid when he was a kid. The race to find the chip is as exciting as the sizzling sex scenes. In fact, in one of the sex scenes, it starts out with Syn wearing a cream colored, loose fitting shirt as he plays the piano. Now for me, it doesn’t get any hotter than that. I seriously almost climbed through the book at that point.

The exciting story has a really good ending and even though there was no “Luke, I am your father” ending, there still was a touch of it. But so minute, I’m not even taking away a star. It was a GREAT ending. I loved it! And, I want more. I want the next book, and I want it now!!!

One thing that I find so wonderful about this author is her sarcastic sense of humor. I found myself laughing out loud during several parts. In one section, Shahara just groin kicked a man completely incapacitating him. Syn comments on how hard she kicked him and starts walking with a limp. This delightful conversation ensues:

“Are you hurt?” (asks Shahara)

“No. It’s sympathy pain for the tracker you just downed.”

Then a few pages over, Syn’s robot friend that he created is riding with them in a space ship and they (they being Syn and Shahara and Vic, the robot) are escaping a hanger and just do a light speed sort of maneuver and almost hit a closing door.

“Vic snorted. “I just oiled myself boss.”

Cute, funny stuff right??? This book is seriously a delight. I loved the characters, the character development, the story. It’s a fabulous read. I can’t wait for more League!

What I liked: Well, see above, but for some reason Ms. Kenyon was able to reach into my psyche and pull out all those things that I find sexy and make them fit at appropriate moments in the story. I seriously appreciate that. Heck, I even like the nanes Shahara and Syn!

What I disliked: I’m thinking…trying to come up with something. But honestly, I think the only thing I didn’t like was that it ended.

My rating: 5 Big Stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment