Thursday, February 24, 2011

Kelly's Review: NIGHT EMBRACE and Topic Thursday

Let's start out with our Topic Thursday shall we? I apologize for not posting this sooner. I've been really inundated today with paperwork. Ugh, I HATE paperwork.

Is ambiance important to you when you read??? I noticed that some e-readers allow you to play music on them while you read. Would that interrupt your concentration? I would wager that probably most of us read in bed at night before we go to sleep. I would imagine that means a quiet setting. I have two absolute perfect settings for reading.

One is on a cold, cold day. My housework must be done. I'd prefer for something to be in the crockpot, something that makes the house smell really good. I'd like for there to be a fire going in the fireplace (as opposed to the laundry room) and I'd like to be sipping either tea or hot chocolate. I'd like to be cuddled up in a snuggly blankie and I'd like my dogs curled up by my feet snoring away. Most importantly, in that scenario, nobody can be home.

My second favorite place to read is on a warm spring or summer morning on my patio. The only music I want to hear are birdies chirping and bees occasionally flying by. I'd like an iced tea close at hand and I'd like to be munching on some butter cookies.

So how about you? Is ambiance important? What are your perfect surroundings for reading? Let's hear about it. :)

Okay, now for my review. Here we go:

NIGHT EMBRACE
By Sherrilyn Kenyon
Book 3 in the Dark Hunter Series
Published by: St. Martin’s Press / 175 Fifth Avenue / New York, NY 10010
First Printing: 2003
ISBN: 0-312-98482-0
Concept: “Dear Reader:
Life is great for me. I have my chicory coffee, my warm beignets, and my best friend on the cell phone. Once the sun goes down, I am the baddest thing prowling the night: I command the elements, and I know no fear. For centuries, I’ve protected the innocent and watched over mankind, making sure they are safe in a world where nothing is ever certain. All I want in return is a hot babe in a red dress, who wants nothing more from me than one night.
Instead, I get a runaway Mardi Gras float that tries to turn me into roadkill and a beautiful woman who saves my life but can’t remember where she put my pants. Flamboyant and extravagant, Sunshine Runningwolf should be the perfect woman for me. He wants nothing past tonight, no tie, no long term commitments.
But every time I look at her, I start yearning for dreams that I buried centuries ago. With her unconventional ways and ability to bagfle me, Sunshine is the one person I find myself needing. But for me to love her would mean her death. I am cured never to know peace or happiness – not so long as my enemy waits in the night to destroy us both.
Talon of the Morrigantes”
Review: If you follow along with my reviews, you will remember that the last few reviews that I did that were not in my normal genres were disappointments or me. I even finger pointed to the people who recommended the books saying something along the lines of “if you can’t recommend a good book, don’t recommend a book at all.” These Sherrilynn Kenyon books are based on recommendations to me from your very favorite blogger, and my friend ::stuck up look cuz I call her my friend:: Donna. She was going on and on…Sherrilynn this and Sherrilynn that. Ash this and Ash that. So how could I NOT read these books right? As you know too from reading my reviews, the first book in the series, Fantasy Lover, while a good read, it wasn’t my most favorite of books. But then I got involved in The League books and again as you know from reading my reviews, Born of Fire was way up there in one of the best books EVER. I really enjoyed the second book in this Dark Hunter series although the second half was better than the first half for me. So I’ve had good experiences with Sherrilynn. I’d say I was a fan. Not an addict, but a fan.
Well shut the hell up because now? Now I am an ADDICTED FAN! I owe Donna thanks for some of the best reading hours in my life so far. THAT ladies and gentlemen, is how you recommend a book.
Yes, this is the third book in the series, and the start of other spin offs (I think anyway. I know there are Were Hunters in here but there’s other potential spin offs too.). Let me tell you right now, IGNORE THE SPIN OFF REFERENCES. I tried to figure them out first and I got intimidated. Just read the books and enjoy them for the books that they are. We are re-introduced to Talon in this book. What a delightful piece of male flesh he is. We meet Sunshine (yes, “Sunshine”…it gets worse, she has brothers, Storm and oh shoot, something else that I can’t remember, but yes, “Sunshine.”) and Sunshine is charming. I LOVE when I can love the female character as much as the male character. She is funny and kind of dorky. I loved her.
Anyway, Talon and Sunshine end up spending some ::koff:: quality time together after an attack from the “bad” vampires out there. While Talon and Sunshine are getting to know each other other in oh so delightful ways, we get to see what’s happening with the “bad” guys as well as get to know some other Dark Hunters including Ash and his evil brother. (Okay, the evil brother thing is so dangerously close to the “Luke, I am your father” thing that its not funny but, for the first time EVER in my paranormal romance reading life, I didn’t care!) Talon is a tortured soul but, hey, so in Sunshine. Yeah, Sunshine. There’s some past life soulmates forever sort of stuff going on here too.
I rarely write spoiler filled reviews and to tell you much more about the story will give a lot away, so let me just wrap this up by saying that the story is as good as the romance. The romance is as hot a 4 alarm fire. I know these characters are fictional but Ms. Kenyon has made them come alive in my heart and now I love them. Talon and Sunshine are lovely wonderful friends of mine.
What I liked: I have several favorite parts in this book so its really difficult for me to pick just a few here but, I again have to comment that I adore Ms. Kenyon’s sense of humor. I find myself laughing out loud at some of her humorous dialogue. I love most animals. Most. I met Beth (the alligator) in Night Pleasures and I expected to see her here. But there was a scene with Sunshine and Beth that was just funny, cute, adorable…let me think of some more adjectives. It was SO good. I wouldn’t say I love Beth, but at least a croc made me smile. J
The best thing that I liked though, was knowing that Zarek’s book follows this one. And I’ve heard it’s one of the best SK books EVER. I don’t know how it could top that last few that I’ve read, but dang, I’m so excited to find out!
What I disliked: Um…Sunshine??? Really??? Was Joan taken? Sally? Mary?
My rating: 5 Stars (I’m taking away the “bright, shining stars” because of the Sunshine thing.)

6 comments:

BLHmistress said...

:):) I am so so happy you are loving the books as much as I do, I just started rereading Fantasy Lover last night and let me say it felt like I was coming home to friends, I forgot how funny Selena was.

As for Ambiance I tend to like quiet when I read, in my bed but when I am reading on my computer(no ereader yet) I listen to music to drown out other noises around me. Sometimes I get distracted with the music but usually its when I can't get into the story.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Wow this is an interesting question.

I don't think ambiance matters to me. I can read anywhere. Music or tv on/off. I will say that I enjoy reading in the bathtub because no one will bother me.

But there are some books that are so good, I don't want any distractions.

I really don't know but this question has really got me thinking. I love it!

Jamie Kline (Bookerella) said...

I LOVE Sherrilyn Kenyon's books...I'm just about to start reading Dance With The Devil. I know what you mean about the choice of name; it's definitely different though. Honestly can say I've never read any other books with a heroine named Sunshine!

I think my favorite place to read is in bed, because that means that my husband is usually gone (he works 3rd shift) and my 3 year old son is asleep so it's really the only quiet time I have to concentrate on reading! In a perfect world I would have a "reading room" with huge windows to let in sunlight and just be able to sit in there and read, uninterrupted. A girl can always dream I guess!

Jamie @ Bookerella (http://iambookerella.blogspot.com)

Belinda said...

It really depends on what kind of mood I'm in when I start reading. I get sensory overload really fast so if it's too load or too much activity around me then chances are I'll go out of my mind. Once I'm able to turn it out, I'm all good. Most times I'll just skip it all and just head for somewhere quiet, which is my bedroom. I can't wait for summer because I'm adamant I'll be sitting out in the sun to read :)

Tevya said...

Ambience-schmanbience I totally tune everything else out when I read, which really drives my husband and family crazy. I can read anywhere, anytime and nothing going on around me will bother me.

Great review for Night Embrace! I love Talon & Sunshine's story. (Yeah, took me a while to get use to her name, too - but I love her!) I'm with you about not getting into them at first. Fantasy Lover was a little over the top for me and I had decided not to read anymore. My friends pushed me to keep going, and I'm so glad I listened. Night Embrace is where they really started to get good for me, and each one just gets better than the one before it. I'm usually a vamp girl, and I was leary of the weres, but Sherrilyn's werehunters totally won me over. They are HOT! ;) I am all caught up on the series now and thinking of re-reading just to refresh my memory a bit. I was lucky enough to meet Sherrilyn in November. She is fabulous. So down to earth and gives each fan all the time in the world. (Which totally makes waiting in line worth the time.) I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

BLHmistress said...

I am probably the few that loved, Fantasy Lover but you definitely can tell the growth in her writing as she progressed with each book.

As for Were's I was a bit unsure too, Sherrilyn's books was the first series I read paranormal and wasn't sure about any of it but she very quickly won me over.

I would love to meet Sherrilyn she does seem so sweet :)

Post a Comment