Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kelly's Review: THE TROUBLE WITH SPELLS


OF WITCHES AND WARLOCKS:

THE TROUBLE WITH SPELLS

By Lacey Weatherford

Book 1 in the Of Witches and Warlocks Series

Published by: Global Author's Publications (2nd Edition); Originally published by Publish America

First Printing: November, 2009

Second Edition: March 2010

ISBN-10: 1448980844

ISBN-13: 978-1448980840

Concept: “Portia Mullins had always lived the life of a normal teenager, up until her sixteenth birthday. She is then informed by her grandma that she is actually a witch who is a descendant from a long line of witches and warlocks. After overcoming her disbelief she finds that being a member of the coven comes with one great perk in the form of the school’s handsome bad boy, Vance Mangum. Vance and Portia have an immediate connection as a budding romance begins, only to be threatened by turbulent skies on the horizon as Vance’s checkered past rears its ugly head to haunt them. Portia is forced to use her untried powers in defense of everything she loves in a desperate attempt to hold on to the one thing that really matters in her life.”

Review: This is a YA novel that I got as a freebie when I read about it on a book tour. This is apparently its second printing. It sports a new and much improved (if you ask me) cover and supposedly has fixed grammatical and spelling errors. Um…I found quite a few spelling and grammatical errors in the book and while I don’t think I’m an expert in English, I easily found these so they really should be repaired.

We meet Portia as she turns a sweet 16. She gets quite the birthday present too. First, she finds out she’s a witch and not only that, but she gets her very own warlock, one hot tamale by the name of Vance. Vance has some family problems, like his Dad hunting him down to either convert him over to the black arts or to kill him. Whichever comes first. We meet Portia’s friends in her high school and her adorable Grandmother who is also a witch (oh, did I forget to mention? So is her Dad. Mom isn’t but she knows all about everything going on around her.).

There are some very tender, romantic love scenes between Portia and Vance, I’m talking very tender. There are some life lessons built in too. The best part of the book was the exciting end of the story which involves the actual death of some characters.

This book is great fun, although a tad slow in the beginning, it winds up in an exciting ending that while a tad predicable, was still fun. This is a fun first book in the series and I imagine, will drive teens crazy with “what will Vance and Portia do next?” questions. This is a mix of the House of Night series, the Twilight series and the Immortals series. Teens will probably go absolutely crazy about this book.

What I liked: I am SO gratefully that the teens in this story aren’t whiney poor me types that are in a lot of YA novels. That teen angst thing is OVER. I loved the “exciting” scenes because they really were exciting and kept me, as a reader, turning page after page.

What I disliked: Sometimes I felt the author got a little too descriptive with things. The blow by blow, for example, between Portia and EMTs I found to be interesting on one level, but probably slow and unnecessary for the book. There were a few unnecessary descriptions for the book. It felt like the author had to get in a word count on her writing or something. It didn’t take away from the story, and it was a relatively quick read at just about 200 pages, so it wasn’t a huge deterrent to the book. I wasn’t very fond of the “cliffhanger” at the end of the story either. I was already hooked into the next books anyway. The cliffhanger really wasn’t necessary at that point.

My rating: 3.5 feathers

0 comments:

Post a Comment