Sunday, July 31, 2011

Kelly's Review: Invincible




INVINCIBLE
Book 2 in the Chronicles of Nick

By Sherrilyn Kenyon
Published by: St. Martin’s Griffen, New York, www.stmartins.com
First Printing: March 2011
ISBN-978-0-312-59906-5
Amazon; Barnes and Noble; Goodreads


Concept: “Nick Gautier’s Day just keeps getting better and better. Yeah, he survived the zombie attacks, only to wake up and find himself enslaved to a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul.

His new principal thinks he’s even more of a hoodlum than the last one, his coach is trying to recruit him to do things he can’t even mention, and the girl he’s not seeing, but is, has secrets that terrify him.

But more than that, he’s being groomed by the darkest of powers, and if he doesn’t learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them…” [From the inside flap from the book.]

Review: I wasn’t that big of a fan of the first Chronicles of Nick book, Infinity. I AM a fan of the second though. I really enjoyed this book and the Nick character. The story isn’t as dramatic as the summary makes it out to be. I thought the story was better. It was almost halfway through the book before Nick said “gah” (which really got on my nerves in the last book) and when he did say it, it was at completely believable points. I might even say “gah” if I were in that particular predicament.

At the beginning of this book, Nick and his mother are getting settled into a new job that Kyrian has arranged for Nick’s mom at Sanctuary which, if you have read the Dark Hunter books, you know to be the sanctuary where shifters go. Nothing bad goes down at Sanctuary, but all the bads hang out there. Nick tries to restore his school life after the zombie attacks from book 1 and, while doing so, he gets some lessons from Death himself. He also gets some lessons from his Uncle Ambrose who is suspiciously a lot like Nick himself. There are also some great supporting characters, Caleb and Nekoda, both demons that are sent to protect Nick. And of course, there’s Simi who is everyone’s favorite demon also from the Dark Hunter books.

Nick has some issues with a coach who wants him to steal personal items from schoolmates to use against them in an ancient spell which will kill them all. Nick is also being threatened by demons from all over the place that are trying to kill him before something awful happens. It’s a lot going on. Nick tries to cope with things as best as he can while trying to remain a good Momma’s boy and a good kid.

As I said at the beginning, this is a good story. It’s exciting and an excellent stepping stone to the next book. I’m now anxious to see what happens to Nick next and what will happen between him and the other characters I am now addicted to.

What I liked: I don’t want to keep saying this, but the story was really good. It was exciting and interesting. I really enjoyed it. The first book’s story wasn’t all that for me but this one not only carried me through this book, but it makes me want to pick up the third book.

What I disliked: I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I disliked Acheron and Kyrian in this book. I felt like they weren’t part of the story, but placed there to link the Dark Hunter books. It just felt like it wasn’t necessary. It wasn’t part of the story. It didn’t bother me enough to even take a rating mark away though.

My rating: 5 feathers



By Kelly
for Book Lover's Hideaway




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

0 comments:

Post a Comment