Friday, January 14, 2011

Kelly's Review: ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE by Jeaniene Frost

ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE

By: Jeaniene Frost

Book 2 in the Night Huntress Series

Avon Books / An Imprint of Harper Collins Publishers / 10 East 53rd Street / New York, NY 10022-5299 / www.avonromance.com

First Printing: May 2008

ISBN: 978-0-06-124509-1

Amazon; Barnes and Noble; Goodreads

Concept: “You can run from the grave, but you can’t hide…Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She’s still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head – wanted: dead or half-alive – means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she’ll find that desire lasts forever…and that Bones won’t let her get away again.”

Review: This is book 2 in the Night Huntress series. It picks up 5 years after our girl Cat left that super mega hot hunka hunka burnin’ love Bones behind. Yeah, she really did. Cat is working with the government now and she’s got a few sidekicks that are rather interesting characters one of whom is killed almost immediately in the story. Through a series of exciting and almost believable events, Cat and Bones are reunited and super mega hot chemistry ensues and dang readers, I am talking a sex scene that will singe your eyebrows off! We discover some things about Cat’s heritage and the ending satisfies while still leaving you wanting more.

What I liked: Did I mention the uber hot love scene between Cat and Bones? But besides that, I really LIKE Cat. I can see myself sharing a bag of popcorn with her, going shopping. She’s very likeable. And Bones, oh my. Bones is all that and something more in my book. I also really like the other characters in the book as well, Spade (Bones’ best friend), Tate, Juan, Dave, Rodney, just to name a few. And did I mention the scorching love scene??? But, my absolutely favorite thing about this book, and I apologize to my friends because I will be saying this line a lot, is this line from Cat: “Once you go dead, there’s nothing better in bed.” ::thigh slap:: Isn’t that the BEST line? If that line doesn’t make you want to read this book, nothing will.

What I disliked: There are three things I didn’t like. First, I gotta say here that I am tired of authors using the “Luke, I am your Father” line. It’s dead. Leave it alone people. It’s old and boring. BUT, it didn’t bother me that much in this story. The second thing is that I really sorta cringed at the references to Cat and how much she was drinking. I take it to mean that the author was just trying to represent to us just how unhappy Cat was without Bones. I hope she doesn't turn into a intervention-needing alcoholic in some future book. And lastly, the way hot love scene didn’t involve me.

My rating: 5 Stars. 5 BRIGHT stars.


by Kelly

for Book Lover's Hideaway

9 comments:

Deea said...

Hey!

Great review! I read the books a while ago and I loved Cat and Bones! I couldn't believe she left him for 5 damn years! *slaps forehead* I was distracted by the HOT sex scenes, but I guess the plot was very good too.:D Well... thanks for the reminder!:)

xoxo

Stephanie said...

Ahhhh! Bones! Reading about him makes me go weak in the knees. Oh! The sex scene! And although it's not a point I made in my own review, you are right about Cat and her gin. Every other scene she was drinking. And not just chug a glass, straight out of the bottle. Mmmm, I am going to start At Grave's End this week, can't wait.

BLHmistress said...

Not reading the review all the way, because I am on the first book which I will be reading really soon.

Unknown said...

Great review! I love this series!

its awesome and it just gets better and better!

Chapter 32 is def legendary LOL

BLHmistress said...

OH you guy's are making me want to order the second book just to read this hot scene lol.

Deea said...

@Larissa Oh, it's THAT chapter 32? *dies* Well, I guess I need to reread it. LOL

@BLHmistress Order the other books of the series too while you're at it. It really gets better and better! and HOTER!:))

BLHmistress said...

Oh I am so tempted to march over to Amazon lol right now.

Kristin said...

Great review! I soooo need to start this series!

Kristin
MyBookishWays

VildesVerden said...

This series has just been translated so I am now reading it in Norwegian. Am enjoying it!

Post a Comment